Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) are a very important part of your cannabis license application. Every license applicant is expected to have a full and comprehensive set of SOPs. In quality management, a Quality Manual explains what regulations and laws apply to a business. The SOPs are “child” documents to the quality manual that explain how activities are conducted in a controlled way to meet those laws and regulations. Therefore, SOP creation is a very important step to any project.
Many cannabis license applicants will source their SOPs from a third party. Cannabis Standard Operating Procedure templates are a great way to get started, but they all need to be customized to your specific business. Even if you can get templates for most of your SOPs, there will still be some that you may also need to write yourself. Leaving SOP customization to the last minute is a major mistake. You don’t want to wait until the last minute and then find out that you are missing one.
You can avoid chaos and delays by working with GrowerIQ. GrowerIQ offers templates for core SOPs and select ancillary documents like work instructions and forms. Our team of consultants and quality assurance professionals can provide you with comprehensive cannabis SOP templates, assist you in SOP creation and customization, and address any potential SOP gaps and needs so there are no surprises when you submit your application.
- Gap analysis of existing SOP sets
- SOP creation, editing and revisions
- Custom new SOP writing
- Fully customized set of GPP/GMP cannabis SOPs available for purchase
What Cannabis SOPs Does Health Canada Require?
Health Canada requires you to have Standard Operating Procedures for all activities involving cannabis production, processing, and manufacturing . This includes indirect activities like sanitation, record keeping, employee training, and more! SOPs must be in a standardized format. Typically SOPs have sections that include purpose and scope, definitions, responsibilities, the actual procedure, references, and importantly, a change control log that documents any changes made.
Examples of Core SOPs for Cannabis Businesses
- Sanitation of the site and equipment
- Employee hygiene
- Distribution, including transfer, and receipt of cannabis and ingredients
- Production and processing of cannabis and ingredients
- Sampling and testing of cannabis
- Packaging and labeling
- Storage of product and supplies, including quarantine and release procedure
- Health Canada. Guidance document: Good production practices guide for cannabis. Canada.ca. Published 2019. Accessed May 10, 2021.
Let us know how to reach you, and we’ll get in touch to discuss your project.